Thursday, December 19, 2013

Rebecca Sorge - Story Moment


4 comments:

  1. Rebecca, I've always loved how you use your textures and how it's obvious that you know your shapes and plane changes, and I see those things here too. I also personally like the shadow on Ethan's face, but one suggestion that I'd make is not to leave his eye out. Even if you just added a little defining feature to his left eye, I think it should be there. I think it's fine that the boys behind him have their eyes in shadows, but Ethan's the focal point here, and I just feel like eyes are a good way to point that out. Just a suggestion though! Great job with the color palette too, I love the muted colors, and (for some reason) the blue on that soccer ball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a great knack for marrying traditional and digital. I know most of your work is digital but you've managed to really preserve that hand-drawn quality in this piece. I also love the angle you chose for the composition. The way the field and stadium slope down slightly really fill out the scene and compliment all of the vertical figures running around. You've got this halo around Ethan's arm that seems almost too even all the way around. I might suggest varying the thick/thin of that light line. Backlit figures are tricky, especially with a complex textured shape like his suit. Fantastic texture overall, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only echo the sentiments about texture and feel here. It all feels really cohesive and nice. I like the simplification you did for the stands and crowd. It's interesting without being distracting. I also really like the soccer suit design you've done.

    A couple things I'm noticing. The values of all the soccer suits is about the same. They play well off the background, but they kind of become a big silhouette when you squint your eyes. You might do something to make Ethan stand out more, through something other than just compositional real-estate. Also, I'm noticing this kind of border effect near a couple of the edges, but it's only happening on Ethan's suit and the soccer ball, so I'm not sure if it was intentional, if it was some kind of weird uploading side effect, or if it was an accident. The colors and values shift slightly on the bottom of the ball, on his legs, and on his arm, and it's a really sudden shift, so that's why it's a little confusing.

    Other than that, though, I'm really digging it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a fun direction you went with the ball; it's so simple, fun, and appealing, yet no one has thought of it yet. There are some fun shapes in the suits, I especially like the torso area. It's also interesting that you chose to make the suits close to the size of the kids, I don't think I've seen anyone else do that yet either. The perspective in the background could use some work. I know it's laborious at first, but I would definitely recommend making a study of perspective by looking up some youtube videos or the various artists who teach it on Gnomon. It will liberate your drawing, and allow you to tackle any scene without fear or intimidation, because you will know how form really works

    ReplyDelete